Sunday, September 7, 2014

My Top 10 Favorite Books

I got the "Name 10 Books That Stuck With You" Challenge from my friend, Ruth. This was not easy since I like to read so many different things. So, yes, it was a challenge, unlike the ice bucket challenge which is just inane. In as close order as I could get them...

10-The Information by James Glieck. A fascinating review of the transmission of information throughout human history. I know, probably interesting only to me.
9-Hithching Rides with Buddha by Will Ferguson. Reading this right now and not even finished
but this is my favorite travel memoir ever that recounts the author’s comic adventures as he hitchhikes his way across Japan, chasing the cherry tree blossoms.
8-Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. My first and hardly last David Sedaris book. His memoirs are hysterical.
7-The Great Big Book of Horrible Things by Matthew White. The top 100 atrocities in human history, few of which which actually caused by religion (much to the horror of New Atheists everywhere).
6-The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Finer in scope than her more well-known Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead is about a man who holds himself as the measure of all things. I identify deeply with the protagonist, Howard Roark.
5-Lila by Robert Persig. This sequel to the cult classic Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance really hammers home some of the greatest problems facing Western Philosophy as a path towards knowledge.
4-The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. I’ve always found Taoism attractive as far as life philosophies go, and here the author makes its ideas relatable through analyzing Winnie the Pooh’s characters.
3-The Bible. As entertainment, the Bible is hard to beat.
2-Encyclopedias. I grew up reading them because I wanted to know more about the world. I think it’s important to know a little bit about everything.
1-Comic books. Not strictly a book, but some of the greatest stories ever told have come out of comic books. Some of my favorite stories of all-time include Marvel's The Thanos Quest, DC's Watchmen, and Batman's A Death in the Family.

No comments: